Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Blogging Preacher

Somehow I ended up at this blog tonight. It's written by a pastor named Scott Stiegemeyer based in Pittsburgh. His Lutheran church offers "Christ-centered ministry", which seems like fundamentalist code to me (which Christian church isn't Christ centered?), but whatever. What I found amusing was this post about 5-10 books he'd recommend to youth:
3. How to Talk to a Liberal (If You Must) by Ann Coulter. This one is to fulfill the humor requirement. Not only do I think Ann's perspective on politics and culture to be generally very clear-headed, but her acerbic wit slays me. She truly makes me giggle like a little girl. Her bit on Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ is the number one best review essay I saw. She totally gets it. Her understanding of the atonement is refreshingly blunt. I quoted her in a sermon once. Her earlier book, Slander, is good too.
Ann Coulter makes this man of God "giggle like a little girl". I wonder which Coulter quote in particular made him giggle so uncontrollably? Maybe it was this quote:

"We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity."

Or perhaps this one:

"When contemplating college liberals, you really regret once again that John Walker is not getting the death penalty. We need to execute people like John Walker in order to physically intimidate liberals, by making them realize that they can be killed, too. Otherwise, they will turn out to be outright traitors."

Or possibly this one:

"My only regret with Timothy McVeigh is he did not go to the New York Times Building."

Ok, I'll stop because it's far too easy to find quotes that make Ann Coulter look psychotic.

It's honestly disturbing to think that people look to this pastor for spiritual guidance ... and he thinks Ann Coulter is clearheaded. Not only does he recommend her books to "youth", but he also quotes her in sermons. There's something very wrong with a pastor so fervently mixing politics and God. It's guys like this that give organized religion a bad name.