Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Sherrod Brown for Governor?

Sherrod Brown is possibly pointing towards the governor's race in 2006.

Brown, 52, who just began his seventh consecutive term in the U.S. House, said he is weighing his options on the governor's race.

''I'm thinking about it,'' Brown said. ''Absolutely. I love what I'm doing now, and like where I'm at. I'll have to figure out where I'm going to be most effective at, and maybe six months from now, I'll know. In the next six months, there's a lot of work to be done.

The Democratic primary for this race should be very interesting. There are quite a few intriguing candidates, among them Ted Strickland, Eric Fingerhut, and Jerry Springer. I don't really have a favorite at the moment, but I'm definitely leaning towards Strickland and Brown, and I think they'd both make excellent governors.

**Edited to add that I completely blanked on Mayor Michael Coleman who is also thinking of running. I think he'd be a force to be reckoned with in a primary, so what he decides will have a lot of influence on prospective candidates.