Saturday, January 29, 2005

Oklahoma Students and Straight Pride

Our future Republican leaders:
A University of Central Oklahoma student group is planning what it calls "Straight Pride Week" on campus.

Members of the College Republicans said despite objections from some, they have every right to celebrate.

"The general gist is that if you are a straight student on campus be proud, be loud, this is your time to shine," said college Republican Kyle Houts.

The group has posted fliers on campus that read, "we're here, we're conservative, we're out."

Look, I live in a red state. I grew up in the reddest of red counties, and I saw plenty of racism and homophobia. I know these people. They were all around me growing up, and they're all around me now.

And yet I'm still stunned when people want to flaunt their ignorance, like it's something of which they should be proud. I think it'll always surprise me. These people are evil. Honest to God evil. It's an evil born of ignorance, but that doesn't make it any better.

These college kids are no different than their granddaddys who were in the KKK. There's the old Socrates quote that the unexamined life is not worth living. We've become a nation of people pissing all over that concept. And being rewarded for it in many cases.

I wonder how many of these College Republicans are gay themselves? There certainly do seem to be a lot of closeted Republicans.