Monday, January 10, 2005

Mississippi libraries ban 'Daily Show' book

I'm reading America the book by Jon Stewart and the Comedy Central people, and I saw with some amusement that certain libraries in Mississippi have decided to ban the book. There is a layout in the middle of the book that features the heads of the Supreme Court justices pasted onto elderly nude bodies, and that page is the reason some Mississippi readers won't be finding this book in their local library.

I have to wonder if you could find a picture of a naked human being somewhere in the systems of these libraries. I'm going to go out on a limb and say more than likely, what with all the possibilities in the health section alone.

I understand that librarians choose what to stock, and I'm pretty much okay with that. But I think it's pretty rare for a book that's spent a lengthy time on the best seller lists to not be carried. I sincerely hope that Ohio's libraries won't be mimicking Mississippi's.