Friday, January 07, 2005

Election Certified

The election was certified yesterday, but Ohio's electoral votes were challenged by a group of House Representatives and Senator Barbara Boxer of California.

I emailed Sen. Boxer this morning, and this is what I wrote:

Senator Boxer,

I just wanted to thank you for your challenge yesterday of Ohio's electoral votes. I live in Columbus, Ohio and voted on the west side of the city in the 15th Congressional District (11-E). I waited for more than two hours to vote, and saw many people give up and leave in my time waiting. To later find out that 39 voting machines went unused in Franklin County was disappointing to say the least. Please continue the fight for electoral reform, and thank you once again.

If you would like to thank Sen. Boxer click here.

The way that we elect a president in this country is disgraceful in so many ways, and the odds of the system improving are pretty slim since it would take a bi-partisan effort to fix. I certainly don't see the Republicans wanting to discuss electoral reform any time soon, not when doing so would be tantamount to admitting that W's ascendance might have been illegitimate.